Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Lovely Morning in the Emergency Room



I am so frustrated with the doctors and nurses in the "Shall Remain Nameless" ER.  Connor spent the last two nights with--what I thought--was a terrible wheezing.  I read all this stuff on the internet that made it sound as if he had the Croup.  I know there isn't much that can be done for Croup, but everything I read and his pediatrician all have said if he starts wheezing to go to the ER.  Wheezing means pneumonia, right?  So we go and they all act as if we shouldn't have brought him in.  "Is he eating?" They ask. "No..." I say.  "Well it's kind of hard to eat when you're all stuffed up."  Yes, and it's also hard to eat when you are coughing so violently that you nearly puke every 10 minutes.  But they decided that was all imaginary.  I feel bad because I don't want to fill an ER bed needlessly plus who wants to sit with a 1 year old in an ER for 3 hours?!!!  So these doctors need to stop telling us to bring him in or the ER people need to get on the same page as the pediatricians.  It almost felt like we were being punished for bringing him in, but we thought that's what we were supposed to do.  And I am SO tired of people calling a Croup cough a seal bark.  What the heck???  I thought I knew what a seal sounded like, but apparently not.

No comments:

Post a Comment