Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dear Baby Connor,

I looked at you today,really watched you. We were outside in the warm summer air, the place you long to be the most. You were crunching and then choking a little on the leaf you were eating. You LOVE eating or rather chewing on leaves, acorns, rocks, dirt, etc. At first, I noticed your eyes and how large and round they are--like perfectly shaped almonds beaming out at me. Then the glittery blue of them made me smile, I thought how easily hidden they are beneath your long, dark lashes. I adore your eyelashes! And by "adore" I mean jealous, too. All at once, I observed the rich reds that make up your tiny smile and the hint of pink coloring your cheeks begin to deepen as you played in the heat of the afternoon. For an instance, I thought I saw you all grown up. A brief twinge of sadness welled inside me at the realization one day you would only be "my little boy" in my eyes, but to the world and yourself you would be a man. That's our goal though, right?...For you to grow into manhood, contribute to society, start a family of your own--THAT I am not ready for just yet. Then another realization struck me. How did I (and by "I", I mean your father, too) make such a handsome, sweet, kind, smart, funny little being like you?!! This was the one time when perfection really counted for something and we nailed it. Of course, not ALL on our own. In the wise words of your father, (and probably Superman or some other comic book hero somewhere)...

"...Only use it for good my son."

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment